January 20, 2010

Hot Cocoa Cones


These creations were what got me hooked on Family Fun magazine in the first place. I saw the article in Family Fun at a doctor's office and asked to take home the magazine. This was back when I only had one child and he was an infant, but I knew I would want to make these one day. I ripped out the page and kept it with my Christmas decorations for a few years. A few years later, when my son went into preschool, I whipped out the magazine page, all matted and folded, but readable and made these for teacher gifts.

These are so fun and easy for the kids to make. The kids had no problems putting the toppings on. We made our own hot chocolate mix with cocoa powder, instant milk, sugar and a little cinnamon for kick.

Hot Cocoa
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups powdered instant milk
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbsp cinnamon (optional)
Mix all together in a large bowl. Will keep for all winter. You use about 3 Tbsp with hot water for yummy hot cocoa.

Put some of the hot chocolate mix in a cone shaped cello bag and then double bag it in another. Then roll the inner bag down and tuck it in. Put all of this in a sturdy mug to hold it up for the kids while they do the next part. The kids add toppings, some had peppermint, some had instant coffee (for the mailman and the bus driver). We used a red gumdrop on the top for the cherry. I think these would be a great favor gift for any winter birthday party. Maybe an activity for the tween sleepover?? You could use sugar snowflakes inside to make them more wintery or crushed hard blue mint candies.  Or make it more "adult" and use candied ginger or dried orange zest.  Yummy!

Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. I got this as a gift once and I'm glad to see how to make it. I'll probably have to get the cone-shaped cello bags in the States, but that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I ordered them online, click on the link in the post. Course shipping to you might be just a little high in Greece!

      Delete
  2. We plan on making these too! Just an FYI-- the link for the sugar snowflake is broken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I've looked all over for those darn cone shaped bags.Don't understand why they are so hard to find in a store! Visiting you from MSM & glad to see another Carolina Blogger! Going to follow you for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got mine last year at Michael's In the cake decoating dept. I think they were Wilton brand. I believe Hobby Lobby might also have them.
    They are used to put a decorating tip in them and decorate cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! In regards to what Anonymous said, you can buy the cake decorating bags but Wilton changed their design this summer and their name is now plastered on the side of the bag. I would check and see if there is a store brand available that has no writing on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cone shaped cello bags are cheapest online. There are several retailers, including Amazon (click on the link in the post). These are cellophane instead of the cake decorating bags which are plastic. I think the cello bags are crisper and look better (and much cheaper). I buy them in the 100 packs and use them year after year. Great for kids teachers!

      Delete
  6. This is such a cute idea, I love it! I'm featuring it on my blog today..I just had to share! :-)

    http://www.diynewlyweds.com/2010/12/diy-homemade-christmas-gift-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea. I am going to make these for thanksgiving! A nice little hostess gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the cone what instructions do you put? For example: how many tablespoons - does one bag make one cup of cocoa?

    I received one for Christmas but wasn't sure if the bag made a pot or a cup? Does anyone know?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cones are just like hot chocolate from the store. You add as many tablespoons as you like, depending on how rich you like your hot chocolate. I am fond of a super creamy, chocolately cup, so I add three or four spoonfuls into my mug of hot water. Really, it's your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For any of you looking for clear decorating bags to put your mix in: Alison's Pantry sells them (100 a pack and there is no writing on them) and they're very reasonably priced. Can't wait to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for stopping by and commenting on my cocoa cones yours are great as well. Following you now.

    Http://stayingclosetohome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...