February 14, 2012

"Like Outback Steakhouse Bread" - Pumpernickel Loaf

My husband and I love Outback Steakhouse for DNI aka Date Night In. Tonight will be one of those nights. There is NO WAY I'm going out to a restaurant, waiting for a table, crammed in with others on Valentine's Day. All the while, thinking about how long it's taking and we're paying a babysitter. Love is in the air, but not when you're paying through the nose. No thank you. Tonight we will feed the kids an early dinner of leftovers and put them to bed on time. Then we will join up in the kitchen and either create something for just us, sharing time talking or pick up something from a restaurant without setting foot inside the building. That's why I love Outback (thanks Sandy for turning me on to this one). You can call or order online and when you pull up they will bring it right to your car. Raining outside where you live? Already in your comfy *ugly* pants? No problem, cause you're not getting out of the car! No, I'm not getting paid to advertise for Outback, in fact I'd like to let you in on one of their secrets - they are not really Australian. Shhhh, don't tell, but if you want Australian, you need a meat pie or Vegemite or maybe a Lamington cookie. It's funny what we American's will believe, guess it's like thinking Papa John's is Italian food.

This doesn't mean I don't love Outback, I do. I love the steaks, the salads, and their bread. Delicious. I wanted to recreate it at home for those months when it's just not in the budget to pick up takeout. So here's my best recreation to date. You're gonna love it (I told you I was in a baking mood).
Sweet Pumpernickel Bread - like Outback Steakhouse

1 pkg yeast or 3 tsp yeast
1 1/4 c water
1/3 c molasses
1/4 c sugar
1 1/2 c rye flour
1 c whole wheat flour (you can sub with white, but it won't be as chewy)
1 c white bread flour
1 tbsp vital wheat gluten (or just use another packet of yeast)
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp vegetable oil

Put the yeast in warm water (not hot) with the molasses to proof it {see here for details about bread baking}. Combine sugar, wheat flour, rye flour, 1/2 c of the the white flour, gluten, salt and cocoa in large stand mixer bowl, whisk together. Add yeast mix when it gets foamy. Knead the dough with dough hook. Add the oil and knead again. Add the remaining 1/2 c of white flour as needed to form a ball around the dough hook. The dough should cleanly pull away from the sides of the bowl. Place dough in greased large bowl and cover loosely with plastic wrap.

Let rise in warm place (like your oven with only the light on) until doubled, maybe an hour depending on how warm your kitchen is. Deflate the dough. Form into a greased loaf pan. Cover loosely again and let rise for around 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Carefully remove the plastic wrap and put in hot oven. Bake for 50 minutes. Cool on wire rack only until it won't burn your fingers because this stuff is delicious warm!

Photobucket

24 comments:

  1. Oh yeah! I love the bread at Outback! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this bread! Going to get some rye flour when I go to the store today and make it... thanks for a good recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this the other day and loved it! I worked up a little different recipe and am going to make it again - I'm going to add some espresso!) Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, So what did you change? I'd love to hear your version. Adding espresso is def not something I ever thought of. Did you think it tasted like Outback??

      Delete
  4. I just pinned this to try next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you via Pinterest. Just wanted to mention that 1 pkg of yeast is closer to 3 teaspoons I think. Yeast is now proofing... yum! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Thank you for noticing this typo - I will correct it right now. Let me know what you think when it's done. I actually just made some last week because it went perfectly with a potato and ham chowder.

      Delete
  6. I just made a double bath last night. Instead of making loaves, I rolled it out in a rectangle and cut into squares. I'm grilling chicken today and those pretty squares are going to be our sandwich bread. I am going to cut them, butter them, and toast them in the oven. Thanks for the recipe! :) Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE this idea Jen - so brilliant! Did the family like them?

      Delete
  7. I made this today and though I'm not familiar with Outback bread, I can say this was an excellent pumpernickel loaf. I added 1 tsp of espresso powder (i've used coffee as 50% of water in other recipes) and 3/4 cp of raisins but otherwise followed the recipe (though I accidentally used half the whole wheat with AP flour). I also baked it as a boule on a stone, steaming the oven at bake. Baked to 190 F. The texture and crust was very good, while the taste was bold and sweet. This recipe is a keeper. Not sure your blog is active but thought a reply was deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What type of Molasses do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. PTV SPORTS is the official sports network of Pakistan which always gets the exciting rights to LIVE BROADCAST. This year too, PTV Sports has attained the official license to live telecast ICC T20 World Cup 2021 Live Score in Pakistan. PTV Sports Live

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...