January 19, 2010

Creamy Corn Potato Chowder

We are still working on the Pantry Challenge, but I think I have to break down and go to the store for milk and a few other things. I needed to come up with dinner from the pantry and found a few potatoes lurking in the bottom bin of the fridge that I needed to use up. I always have frozen veggies on hand, so I made this yummy chowder from Family Fun online. The soup was really creamy and fabulous even though I substituted half and half for the heavy cream. It's the perfect soup for dreary day.

Creamy Corn Potato Chowder
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 rib celery, finely chopped
5 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 large all-purpose potato, peeled and diced
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
1 cup heavy cream (or use half and half)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Black pepper, to taste
Fresh dill or parsley for garnish, chopped (I used dried chives)


Melt the butter in a large saucepan or medium soup pot. Stir in the onion and celery. Partially cover the pan and cook the vegetables over moderate heat for 9 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken stock, corn, potato, and salt and bring the mixture to a low boil. Lower the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for about 7 minutes, until the potatoes are just tender. In a small bowl, whisk together the cream and flour. Stir the mixture into the soup with the pepper. Bring the soup back to a low boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 8 minutes. Serve hot, garnished with herbs.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Aimee,
    Alan's cousin Suzanne here... I really love your ideas that you've posted. We will be trying the Creamy Corn Potato Chowder this week! Hope ya'll are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne, so great to hear from you. I just know you will love the chowder. Get a fresh crusty loaf of bread to go with it.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...