July 8, 2010

Killer Creek Squash Casserole


The squash has ARRIVED! I'm so thrilled because our zucchini and yellow squash are ripe for the picking from our garden. So yummy. Last year for some reason all of our yellow squash plants died before any of the veggies appeared - who knows why - some blight, the wrong weather, the sun and moon's alignment.  Whatever it was I missed squash so much I bought it from the grocery store. But not this year, for the tiny price of some seeds, we will eat like kings.

The kids love squash grilled, but I decided to be a little decadant and make this casserole from Killer Creek Steak House. The recipe was posted in the AJC newspaper, but just looking at the original version made my arteries harden. I knew I needed to adapt it (and halve it because the original makes 12 servings). I scaled the recipe down to make 6 generous servings. I also included how I made the recipe a little healthier. Let me know what you think in the comments section.

Killer Creek Squash Casserole

2 1/2 lbs yellow squash, sliced
1 1/4 c mayonnaise (I used 3/4 cup)
1/2 c diced onion
3 eggs
1 1/2 sticks of melted butter (I used 1 stick margarine)
1/2 c grated cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 c French's Fried onion rings (I left these out)

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a roasting pan (or 9x13 baking pan) with cooking spray. Combine everything but the French's onions in a bowl and stir to mix well. Pour into your greased pan. Bake 30 mins (more for a deep but narrow pan, less for a shallow wide pan). Casserole should be bubbling and squash tender. Sprinkle with French's onions and bake 5 more minutes.

On a complete sidenote, I'm sure you couldn't help but notice my FABULOUS new enamel coated cast iron pot! That was my Mother's Day gift this year. We got it while we were at the Cornbread Festival. The Lodge Factory (cast iron manufacturer) is the main sponser of the festival and they have an Outlet Store right next to the festival grounds. I really, really wanted a Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron French Oven since I strarted volunteering at the Whole Foods Cooking School. We use them all the time, but let me tell you the idea of spending $280 for a pot is just not reasonable in my mind. Waaaay too expensive! I figured someone had to make the same enamel coated cast iron product for less money.

I had an "ah ha" moment when I realized my favorite cast iron skillet manufacturer probably made something that would be a good substitute. Well I hit the nail on the head! Lodge makes all shapes and sizes and lots of colors for a whole lot less money than Le Crueset. I looked on their website so I had an idea of what the prices would be. When we walked into the Outlet Store (of which there are four locations, two in TN, one in GA and one in SC) I was on the look out for an "outlet deal". I so found it! My apple green dutch oven was only $80!!! It was a special Factory Outlet clearance, but I did notice the traditional 6qt dutch oven was only $98 for a regular price. That's a far cry from the $280 that the french version costs. According to Good Housekeeping the Lodge product is just as good as the more expensive product. I can back that up - I love this pot! It's very heavy due to the cast iron, which also means it retains heat incredibly well. I can't wait to cook a roast or soup in it. The enamel surface cleans right up, even with red tomato sauce (or cheese in the this case) baked right in. Of course the Martha entertainer in me is thrilled with the beauty of the product. It's so good looking it can be brought right the table! I love this pot!!  
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...