July 16, 2010

Summer Tomato and Peach Salad aka Summer on a Fork

This is a wonderful summer salad that my friend Melissa first made for me at a birthday party. Then when my family went to the beach last week, I knew I wanted to make this salad. It's like Summer on a Fork - seriously. Every essential summer flavor is in it...peaches, tomatoes, basil. Just delicious!

Everyone loved it, although some said they might prefer it with feta cheese instead of the goat. I think either way, it's absolutely delicious. The kids liked it because it has peaches in it. That night, I served it for dinner with other assorted sides to make a "Side Salad Buffet" for dinner. There was a black bean and corn salad, my mother-in-law's coleslaw recipe, fresh bread with garlic butter and the yellow summer squash casserole posted here. Everyone found something to please their palates, but I was especially thrilled that my Grandmother (who has traveled everywhere and eaten in very fancy places) loved the meal! What a great feeling knowing you have made something for someone and they love it.

Please know this salad will be absolutely gross if made out of the summer season. Do not blame me if you decide to make it in December and it is tasteless. Hot house fruits and veggies are soooo NOT yummy. I am a firm believer in eating what is in season and this salad proves that at their peak, they can't be beat!

Summer Peach and Tomato Salad
Adapted by my friend Melissa from Cooking Light
Serves 8


1/3 c thinly vertically sliced red onion
3 ripe peaches (about 1 lb) cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 lb heirloom beefsteak tomatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 lb cherry or pear tomatoes, halved
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 c (2 oz) crumbled feta cheese OR goat cheese
1/4 c torn basil leaves


Combine onions, peaches and tomatoes in a large bowl. Combine vinegar, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk until mixed (or put in a shaker and shake well). Drizzle vinegar mixture over peach mixture and toss to coat. Before serving, sprinkle with cheese and basil.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Can't wait to try this one...as soon as I can find a way to make my garden grow! I've just now stumbled upon your blog and love it! L-O-V-E IT! I've already shared on a FB group I'm in called Shakin', Bakin' and Drankin'. I have a feeling that my status as your 99th follower is going to be rising quickly. The gals and guys from that group are gonna love you! I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts. ~Joy

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...