November 3, 2010

Banana Bread


This banana bread recipe is always a big hit when I share it with friends. It's from my family's cookbook. The bread is always moist on the inside and forms a great crust.

I have a little secret about banana bread. Sometimes my family doesn't eat the bananas in the fruit bowl, so they turn brown and no one wants to eat them. Throwing away food is like throwing away money. Instead of tossing the mushy bananas, I pop them into the freezer (where they get black) to save them for baking. When I get all my ingredients out for baking, I get the bananas out of the freezer so they have a little time to thaw. This makes them easier to peel. The bananas are mushy and perfect for baking bread! This trick also allows you to stock up on ripe bananas the grocery store is clearancing. Get a good deal and save 'em for later!

Forney Banana Bread
Makes 1 loaf

1/2 c shortening
1 c sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 med bananas, mashed
1/2 c chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream shortening and sugar in mixing bowl until creamy. Add egg and mix well. In small bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Add the flour mix (dry ingredients) to the shortening mixture (wet bowl), mixing just until it holds together. Add vanilla, mashed bananas, and optional nuts.

Pour batter into greased loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.

Can be made as muffins, raise oven temp to 425 degrees and bake for 20 minutes. Recipe can easily be doubled and this bread freezes very well. Just wrap it up in plastic wrap and foil. Then pull it out when you have unexpected company or need to take a hostess gift.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...