October 22, 2010

Cherry Almond Snack Mix


We are not a sugar cereal household. My poor kids have never tasted Cocoa Puffs or Frosted Flakes. They don't know that Fruit Loops will make your milk colored. I know, they are so deprived!

However, we ARE a cereal house. My husband teases me that I am like Jerry Seinfield with our 20 (yes 20) boxes of cereal that I keep at anytime. I buy when it's on sale and I have a coupon. We keep about 5 boxes open at a time and the rest are in the laundry room overflow. I don't feel badly about this, because my friend Melissa says she has MORE than 20 boxes in her pantry!!

Every once in a while I will make something with our cereal like a trail mix, Chex Mix, and People Chow (which you should check out at Our Life in a Click - I love her photography). My twist on the original recipe found on a Chex cereal box long ago is to replace half the chocolate chips with butterscotch chips. Yum!

Another favorite cereal recipe is Cherry Almond Snack Mix. For this one you need to start with this Quaker cereal (and yes you can use any of their three flavor version of this cereal).



Cherry Almond Snack Mix


4 c Quaker Oatmeal Squares cereal
1/2 c sliced almonds
2 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp apple pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger)
dash of salt
1 c dried cherries, cranberries, or raisins


In a bowl, combine butter, spices and salt. Add cereal and almonds to bowl and toss to coat. Spread out mixture on baking pan with sides (aka jelly roll pan). Bake at 300 degrees for 20 mins stirring once halfway through the cooking time. Cool out of oven and then add the dried fruit (which I have not done yet in the above photo). Store in airtight container.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...