April 25, 2010

Gardening with Chickens

In the wintertime, our empty garden is a perfect place for the chickens to forage. They are like little rototillers, churning up the soil for us. They get all kinds of yummy bugs and worms and we get fertilized soil.  It's a wonderful symbiotic relationship. However, when planting time comes, it's a whole new story.

The Girls are very interested in anything resembling a seed or plant. If you don't want your seed to turn into chicken feed, you much have to shove it into the ground while they aren't looking otherwise they will go and dig RIGHT where you planted!  Not to mention pecking at the fragile seedlings. I'm all for free ranging and sharing my extra veggies, but the Girls have been officially banned from my spring garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...