November 3, 2010

"Sick Good" Turtle Bars


If it's bake sale time around your neck of the woods, this recipe is a sure-fire seller. My friend Ann made these for me a few kids back and my husband immediately declared them "sick good" because they are beyond yummy. I've made them for other new moms and at bake sales and everyone loves them. It's an easy recipe and you probably have the ingredients on hand. I have separated the recipe into two parts only to make it easier, but they are mainly the same items (butter and sugar).

"Sick Good" Turtle Bars
(makes 20 generous squares)

Bar Base
2 c flour
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c softened butter
1 c pecans or almonds, coarsely chopped

Topping
2/3 c butter
1/2 c brown sugar
1 c chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix first three ingredients together with two knives or a pastry cutter til it looks coarse and crumbly. Then press mixture into a 9x13 pan. (If you want to save a step, you can combine the mixture right in the 9x13 pan - one less thing to wash.) Top your flour mixture with pecans.




Melt 2/3 c butter with 1/2 c brown sugar in microwave (watch this so it doesn't boil over or burn). It takes about three 45 second bursts (with stirring in between each time) to get it all melted together. Pour the hot butter/ sugar over the pecans and base. Bake for 20 mins. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips.  Let cool in pan completely and then cut into squares.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. WITH A NAME LIKE "SICKK GOOD" I AM MOST DEF ADDING THESE TO MY LIST!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH HOW FUNNY-SEE? I ALREADY COMMENTED ON THESE THAT I WANTED TO MAKE THEM. NOT THAT I REMEMBERED WITH ALL THE RECIPES GOING THRU MY BRAIN HAHAH UR RIGHT-A DR. SEUSS BOOK SAYS IT ALL! HAHAHAHAH LOVE YOUR PICS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like almonds in your pics & not pecans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right in my lower photos, they are almonds. I use them interchangeably in this recipe. The top photo is pecans but I took the other photos another day. With only limited time in my life, photos have to be fit in wherever I can :)

      Delete

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...